Directions to Trinity
Click here for directions.
Telephone: (757) 357-3659
FAX: (757) 365-4909
Ministry Team (Professional Staff)
|Trinity Family||Daily Ministersemail@example.com|
|Virginia McKenzie||Director of Youth Ministriesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Amy Bolens||Director of Childrens Ministriesemail@example.com|
|John Edwards||Lay Leaderfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rev. Joe Savinsky||Minister of Visitationemail@example.com|
|Webbie Sauls||Preschool Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jean J. Marshall||Organistemail@example.com|
|Richard Winfree||Chancel Choir Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carolyn Hyman||Church Secretaryemail@example.com|
|Richard Winfree||Rivers of Life Praise Team Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|James & Linda Gray||Covenant Missionaries||Liberia|
|Charlene P. Kammerer||Resident Bishop|
|John Vest||District Superintendent|
Our Pastor, Jeff Cannon
Pastor Jeff Cannon came to Trinity from St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Hampton. He and his wife Karen joined Trinity for their first sermon on Sunday, July 3rd, 2011.
Jeff was born in Great Lake's Illinois. He spent 15 years in Michigan before coming to the Tidewater area where he attended Denbigh High School. Jeff attended the College of William & Mary and graduated with a B.S. in Psychology from Oklahoma University in 1978. He is also a 1994 graduate of Eastern Mennonite Theological Seminary with a Master of Divinity. Jeff is a 1978 member of the National Honor Society in Psychology; he was recognized in 1981 as an Outstanding Young Men of America by Jaycees; and he was also recognized as a Scholar Leader of Oklahoma by the State of Regents in 1978.
Reverend Cannon was a staff member of Youth for Christ for 18 years, serving in virtually every area including State Director for Virginia in 1985 and on the National Board in 1990. Jeff was a Youth Minister at St. Mark's 24 years ago. Seven Years ago Jeff was again assigned to St. Mark's - this time as pastor.
As previously mentioned, he is married to Karen, has two sons, Evan and John, and three stepsons, Josh, Ben and Andrew. Karen is a lifelong resident of Hampton, Virginia, having been born and raised there. She is a graduate of Kecoughtan High School, and attended Christopher Newport University and Thomas Nelson Colleges. She has been employed at Teledyne Hastings Instruments located in downtown Hampton for over 30 years as a Customer Service specialist. Karen is a cancer survivor of three years and is active in fundraising for cancer related causes. Karen enjoys scrapbooking, reading and kayaking in her spare time.
A Historic Place of Worship
Trinity United Methodist Church was the first church built in the Town of Smithfield, built in 1812, sixty years after the town was established. Since we know that Methodists were meeting in Smithfield since at least 1791, we assume that they met in private houses, or visited churches in the county, such as Bethel or Benn's Church. It is possible that they even met in pastures under the shade of a large tree. In 1812, Benjamin and Mary Drew deeded a lot on South Freemason Street (now called Mason Street) for six shillings to George Benn, Andrew Woodley, Isaac Velines, Micajah Bidgood, Samuel P. Jordan, Mathias Jordan, and Benjamin Drew, all trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The deed states they "have erected and built a house thereon for the purpose of divine worship, for the members and minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States." This lot was four lots south of the present church on Freemason Street almost across the street from the present Masonic Lodge.
The first church was plain, unattractive, and very uncomfortable. It was unlathed, unplastered and the walls were unceiled. The church was unpainted inside and out. The seats were backless wooden benches. There were no provisions for any kind of heat. The building was improved in 1834 by James Wilson Riddick, a dedicated recent young convert. It was turned to be parallel to Freemason Street and was properly lathed, ceiled, and painted. The old backless benches were replaced by pews. The yard was enclosed and shade trees were planted. The church was sold to the Methodist Protestant Society in 1848. The society sold the church to Brown's A.M.E. Church in 1877. The church burned down in 1957 prior to a wedding that day. That was the 145th year of being a house of worship.
With proceeds from the sale of the old church, the congregation purchased the lot on the corner of Cedar and Freemason Streets and built a new and much larger wooden church. The entrance to this church was on Freemason Street. At that time, men and women did not sit together. The middle row of benches was divided down the center. The men sat on one side and the women on the other. There were galleries on both sides and one across the back, in which the choir held forth. (continued next column)
The old Academy was built in 1826 by a committee of prominent Smithfield and Isle of Wight citizens as an Academy for young men. It was used as a private school until 1872 when the public school system was established. A public school was housed here until 1906. The Masonic lodge acquired the building in 1914 when a storm destroyed the roof of their old lodge. The Masons sold the building to Trinity Methodist Church in 1959. The trustees planned on demolishing the building to add more parking space. The Women's Society of Christian Services asked the trustees to let them restore the building. Restoration began in 1962 and the building was dedicated in January 1964. The memorial brick wall was erected the same year.
Today the building is a vibrant part of life for the congregation of Trinity United Methodist Church. The Academy acts as a headquarters for the church's Department of Fine Arts Ministries.
(continued from left column)
After a number of years the whole interior of the church was changed. The side galleries were taken out, a broad aisle was made down the middle, stained glass windows were installed and families began sitting together. The gallery over the door was retained and was used by the choir.
In 1879 the trustees of the Church Street parsonage sold the parsonage for $5,000. This was much more than the new parsonage cost, so they decided to build a new church. In 1898 the old church was razed and a new brick church was built on the old foundation. When this church was dedicated to the Glory of God in 1899 the name Trinity was adopted. Since that time many changes and additions have been made to this church. In 1925 a pipe organ was obtained and a wing built to house it. In 1951 the interior of the auditorium was partially remodeled, changing from a semi-circular communion rail and benches to a straight rail and benches with a center aisle. A new organ was installed and an Education building and a Social Hall were added to the church. In 1982 the sanctuary was enlarged and completely renovated. In 1987 remodeling was done to provide new offices for the minister and the church secretary. A church parlor or bride's room and several class room were also added.